Join Our Team
join our team
Employment opportunities at Birmingham Children’s Theatre are available to all, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, veteran's status, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. In addition, we will endeavor to make reasonable accommodations for known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees and applicants with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the positions listed below:
- Administration Opportunities
- Volunteer Ushers
- Script Submission - New Voices Project
- Design Teams
Birmingham Children's Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
Business Manager - Full Time
SEEKING: A Business Manager to join our dedicated and hard-working team
- Maintaining all general ledger activity for the theater including accounts payable and receivable, bank reconciliation, balance sheet and cash flow reports; Human resources including management of health insurance and other employee benefits, maintaining employee records and personnel reports; Processing weekly actor/contract payroll – ranging from 15 to 50 individuals; Managing invoice tracking for school performance, tour, and public sales income
- 3 to 5 years QuickBooks experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Excellent writing & communication skills
- Experience with non-profit accounting and auditing procedures
- Demonstrated skills in budgeting, financial planning, and analysis
- Friendly, eager, outgoing and positive attitude required as the position works closely with every department within the organization
- Previous experience with performing arts production preferred
- Previous involvement with capital projects a plus
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree is required with a major in Accounting, Business or Arts Management preferred. Interest in theatre is a must.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume along with a list of three references to the attention of Scarlotte Kilgore at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Birmingham Children’s Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information about Birmingham Children’s Theatre, please visit: www.bct123.org
Volunteers and Ushers
BCT needs volunteers and ushers for 2017-2018!
- Do you enjoy working with children and the public?
- Would you like to contribute to an extraordinary cultural and educational environment?
- Are you enthusiastic about the arts and live theatre?
If you said yes, then our volunteer or usher program may be perfect for you! Whether seating a classroom of pre-schoolers about to enjoy their first live theatre performance or helping a family of six find seats together for a weekend performance, ushers ensure that BCT patrons enjoy the very best experience possible during their time at the theatre. Our offices could not run without our wonderful volunteers who help with various tasks that help our organization function!
Ushers are needed for School Performances, which take place on weekday mornings, and Family Day Performances, which take place on Saturday mornings and Sunday afternoons.
If you would like more information on BCT's volunteer or usher programs, please contact Lauren Sanderlin by email or phone at (205) 458-8899.
To Apply: Email your résumé email@example.com or may be mailed to:
Birmingham Children's Theatre
P.O. Box 1362
Birmingham Children's Theatre offers full- or part-time internships to qualified high school, college undergraduate or graduate students of the performing arts, arts education or arts administration. Areas for internship may include Production, Development, Sales, Administration or Education.
First preference will be given to college students who have already acquired some basic training and experience in theatre, arts education, or development of non-profits and are ready for the next step toward a career in one of these fields. Anyone over the age of 16 who is interested should apply. Applicants should:
- Have a passion for working with young people
- Have a strong respect for the collaborative nature of theatre
- Be willing to engage in the creative process
- Have an excellent sense of humor
- Be reliable
- Know how to be part of a team, but also how and when to take initiative and get things done.
BCT will help any student needing to fulfill specific credit requirements by working with faculty advisors from participating schools. All arrangements for credit must be made by intern. Please provide any paperwork with application.
Each intern will participate in a variety of evaluative measures with department managers throughout the duration of the internship. Interns will be required to complete self-evaluation forms. There will also be periodic, face to face evaluations to discuss progress, plan for future goals and assess program expectations. Final evaluation will be sent to faculty advisor.
Payment and Housing
We are currently offering unpaid internships. At this time BCT does not offer housing.
How to Apply
Please click here to fill out an online application.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or call 205-458-8899.
Script Submission - New Voices Project
BCT's ongoing New Voices Project has commissioned over 50 original scripts, stories, musicals and adaptations for young audiences since 1982 alone, and maintains a commitment to discovering new voices among playwrights, and the presentation and experimentation in dramatic literature for youth. Generally, Wee Folks productions (ages 4 to 8) are limited to no more than 4 actors (doubling possible), Mainstage Touring productions (ages 6 and up) are limited to no more than 8 actors (doubling possible), and Mainstage In-house Only productions vary depending on budget and artistic requirements. Unsolicited scripts may be submitted for consideration of upcoming seasons (please note BCT schedules 1 ½ year in advance). In order for your script to be considered, submit each of the following:
- a copy of the entire script;
- a synopsis of no more than one page;
- a character breakdown;
- music tracks and lead sheets (if a musical);
- playwright’s resume and references.
Submissions with missing components will not be considered. All materials may be sent in electronic format or through the U.S. Mail to:
Birmingham Children’s Theatre
Attn: Brandon Bruce
Birmingham, AL 35201
or via email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Submissions will not be returned.
BCT employs directors, choreographers, scenic designers, costume designers, sound designers/engineers, lighting designers, musicians and other theatre technicians for each production on our season. If you are interested in joining a Production Team for one of our upcoming productions, please forward a complete professional portfolio to:
Birmingham Children’s Theatre
Attn: Stephen Fister
Birmingham, AL 35201
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.